Have you ever felt stuck in life? I have! Maybe you feel stuck right now.
When someone is stuck, they say things like:
- “I don’t know what to do.”
- “I can’t seem to move forward in this.”
- “I am at a loss.”
- “I am in a rut.”
- “I can’t see around this.”
It’s an awful feeling! If you are anything like me, when you are in the middle of it, you take what you are feeling at that very moment and project way into the future. You think that this is how you are always going to feel. Discouragement and disillusionment set in, and pretty soon you can’t see your way out of or around it.
Let me just say something loud and clear: God is not surprised by your season of feeling stuck. God never says “Oops!” or “Never saw that one coming!” Nope! He knows the number of hairs on our heads at any given moment, and He is not surprised.
It is important, however, to determine what “kind of” stuck we are experiencing.
I believe there are two kinds of “stuck”:
1. A God-Ordained Season of Being Stuck
2. An Appointed Season of Growth in Being Stuck
A GOD-ORDAINED SEASON OF BEING STUCK
Sometimes when we feel stuck in life, it is actually God trying to get our attention. It is a God-Ordained Season. He wants to:
- Teach us about REST. This is where we learn to quit striving and to acknowledge the fact that we are not God — but He is! Rest is learning the delicate balance of BEING and DOING.
- Help us TEND TO OUR HEARTS. He does what is necessary to get our attention. He is a skilled surgeon, and with such precision is able to get at the heart of what is keeping us stuck.
- Train us in our WAITING SEASON. Waiting on the Lord is actively anticipating what He will do in and through us to get us unstuck. The more we move to get ourselves unstuck in our own strength, the deeper and more entrenched we get.
- UNTANGLE THE LIES we believe so we can be free. Excuses that we’ve lived with for so long become strongholds of lies that cause us to feel stuck. I wrote about this before. You can read it here.
God’s plan is NEVER to leave us in those places of feeling stuck. But by acknowledging them, we will be more able to get unstuck. He wants to move us forward in what His plan is for our lives.
AN APPOINTED SEASON OF GROWTH IN BEING STUCK
Other times we feel stuck because we need to grow in some area. We need to:
- learn new skills for where we want to go next
- grow in the area of spiritual warfare
- find new ways of looking at something — a paradigm shift
- unroot false belief systems
- lose the victim mentality
This kind of being stuck is like reaching a plateau in muscle building. We stall, stagnate and stumble around because the next level where God wants to take us requires a new level of growth. We must increase the weight on the barbell to build the muscles we want. Likewise, we must increase our ability in some area to do what He’s asked us to do.
The obstacles and hurdles that are in the way are there to teach us something. It is an Appointed Season of Growth.
Next week we will be discussing the first kind of stuck in life. Learning the differences is crucial in moving forward in life.